Over 100 hospital volunteers give their time each week in service to others at LeConte Medical Center, Fort Sanders Sevier Nursing Home, LeConte Volunteer Thrift Shop, and Thompson Cancer Survival Center-Sevier. Whether you are helping patients navigate the hospital by providing information at our front desk or leading activities for seniors at the nursing home, rest assured that your help is needed and appreciated.
LeConte Medical Center offers volunteer opportunities for both adults and teenagers.
Volunteer benefits include:
- A free meal for every day worked (4-hour shift in a day)
- Free annual flu shot
- 10% gift shop discount, 20% thrift shop discount
- Annual celebrations
- Scholarship opportunities
- Providing a meaningful service to your community!
Adult Volunteer Requirements
- Commitment of four hours a week or more for at least one year of service
- Customer-service oriented attitude
- Successful background check
- Completion of orientation program (1/2 day orientation videos)
- Annual education refresher (1/2 day once a year)
- Over the age of 18
- Complete our online application.
This is a summer program with applications accepted beginning in February
- 14 – 17 years of age by May 1, 2021
- Complete both the online AND paper application and return by April 2, 2021
- Maintain a C+ average in school
- Attend a mandatory orientation
- Commit to a minimum of six weeks of service during the summer
- Commit to a minimum of four hours of service during each of your 6 weeks
Areas of Highest Need
- Thrift Shop: LeConte’s thrift shop is located off-site at 441 Parkway in Sevierville. We need volunteers to assist customers shopping, process incoming donations, work at the cash register and more. All positions needed.
- Gift Shop: The gift shop is located inside LeConte Medical Center. Volunteers are needed to assist customers with making purchases. The shop is open Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. This position requires walking, lifting and reaching.
- Outpatient Surgery Desk: Volunteers are needed to work at the reception desk in the outpatient surgery lounge, assisting patients and family members throughout their surgical experience. Includes answering phones, escorting patients, and giving directions. Requires walking.
- Information Desk: We need volunteers to assist guests with information (such as directions, patient information, etc.), and to escort guests to destinations throughout the facility. Requires walking and working with computers.
- ICU/Step Down Unit Information Desk: Volunteers are needed to assist guests with directions to patient rooms and inform them about visiting times.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Registration Desk: This position requires working with our registration staff to input patient information into our computer system. You must be comfortable working with computers and have great people skills.
- Nursing Home: We always need volunteers to work with the residents at Fort Sanders Sevier Nursing Home (across the street from LeConte Medical Center), which includes keeping resident’s company, assistance with activities and meal time and much more.
- Fundraising events: Volunteers are needed to work with local vendors to organize on-site fundraising events such as gift shop sales, to benefit the volunteers. This position also includes working on annual fundraisers such as bake sales and uniform sales.
- Facility Support Services (Engineering Dept): In this position, you will assist department employees with completion of facility work orders.
- And more! New opportunities are available on a regular basis.
The Pink Ladies/Auxilary formed in 1966 (originally serving at Sevier County Hospital). The volunteer gift shop opened in 1985. In the 2000s, our volunteers became a department of LeConte Medical Center and no longer serve as an auxiliary model.
Research demonstrates that volunteering leads to better health. Come volunteer with us!