Our mission is two-fold: First, Paint the Mountains Pink will spread the word about the importance of mammography and early detection, and help educate our community that mammograms truly save lives. Second, Paint the Mountains Pink will help provide mammograms to those in Sevier County who cannot afford them.
Did you know?
- 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
- Mammograms alone find 85-90% of breast cancers.
- Mammography can detect cancer up to 2 years before it is detected with a self breast exam.
- The American Cancer Society recommends baseline mammogram between the ages of 35 and 40.
- In any given year, only 50% of women aged 40 – 85 years old have a mammogram.
The two main reasons women don’t get their annual screening:
- Uneducated as to the importance of early detection
20% of American women are uninsured. Of these, 67% needed medical care but did not receive it due to the cost involved.
In Sevier County, 21% of women are uninsured (ranking 94 out of 95 counties in Tennessee).
What is the cost of a mammogram & reading fee for someone without insurance? $300
How can you help?
Paint the Mountains Pink is a year-round initiative and involves many opportunities for awareness, education and fundraising. Look for updates from the Dr Robert F Thomas Foundation during the year.
The real-estate type sign is weatherproof, and we hope you will display it with pride. The cost of the sign is $100. Click here to order your sign.
The window decal is made to cling to any window and the cost is $20. Click here to purchase your decal.
Some merchandise supporting Paint the Mountains Pink is available for purchase in the LeConte Medical Center Gift Shop (open Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.).