Keeping Athletes in the Game
LeConte Medical Center’s sports medicine program offers a multidisciplinary approach to care for athletes, providing the East Tennessee area with certified and licensed athletic trainers. Our team includes physicians, athletic trainers, physical and occupational therapists, and speech/ language pathologists who work with physicians to prevent, evaluate, manage and treat sports-related injuries and medical conditions. These professionals provide support at sports practices, games, tournaments, community events and sport tourism venues.
Since 2001, LeConte Sports Medicine has provided certified athletic trainers to cover all sports at each of Sevier County’s five high schools: Gatlinburg-Pittman High School, Pigeon Forge High School, Seymour High School, Sevier County High School and Northview Academy. Certified athletic trainers are experts in preventing illness and injury in active people and have special training to restore function to injured patients.
LeConte Sports Medicine coordinates the healthcare for student athletes, providing comprehensive on-site services including:
- Injury/illness prevention and wellness protection
- Clinical evaluation and diagnosis,
- Immediate and emergency care
- Treatment and rehabilitation of injury
- Organizational and professional health and well-being
6 Things to Know about Our Sports Medicine Program
- We help educate athletes and coaches about proper safety protocols and injury prevention techniques, including on-site assessment and treatment (on-field or at the team’s location).
- We offer rehabilitation services on-site for minor injuries at sporting events, and immediate referrals to specialized care at hospitals or orthopedic centers.
- We offer on-site, sport-specific education programs for student athletes, parents and coaches, including guidance about pre-season, in-season, and off-season conditioning.
- We offer sport-specific training camps and an annual sports medicine student aide workshop.
- We offer ImPACT® concussion testing and concussion management, and we’ve been a leader in reducing incidences of concussion among student athletes in our area.
- We also provide medical resources, education, injury prevention information and screenings for performing arts groups.
In 2015, LeConte Sports Medicine began providing certified athletic training services at Rocky Top Sports World in Gatlinburg. Our team provides athletic trainers and licensed paramedics to provide full-time coverage caring for the athletes competing at the sports complex.
In 2016, LeConte Sports Medicine was a founding partner of The Ripken Experience in Pigeon Forge. As the exclusive healthcare provider, LeConte provides athletic trainers to provide full-time coverage for athletes competing at the baseball complex.
In 2021, LeConte Sports Medicine was the official medical provider for the TSSAA State Golf Championship.
- 2015: The Corporate Award (from Tennessee Athletic Trainers’ Society). The program also received this award in 2005.