Our mission is two-fold: First, Paint the Mountains Pink will spread the word about the importance of mammography and early detection, and help educate our community that mammograms truly save lives. Second, Paint the Mountains Pink will help provide mammograms to those in Sevier County who cannot afford them.
Did you know?
• 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
• Mammograms alone find 85-90% of breast cancers.
• Mammography can detect cancer up to 2 years before it is detected with a self breast exam.
• The current American Cancer Society guidelines recommend a yearly mammogram for women starting at age 40.
• In any given year, only 50% of women aged 40 – 85 years old have a mammogram.
The two main reasons women don’t get their annual screening:
- Uneducated as to the importance of early detection
20% of American women are uninsured. Of these, 67% needed medical care but did not receive it due to the cost involved.
In Sevier County, 21% of women are uninsured (ranking 94 out of 95 counties in Tennessee).
What is the cost of a mammogram & reading fee for someone without insurance? $300
How can you help?
Paint the Mountains Pink will be a year-round initiative, and will involve many opportunities for awareness, education and fundraising. Phase one involves the sale of promotional signs and decals for your home or place of business.
Some merchandise supporting Paint the Mountains Pink, including fleece vests, fleece scarf, and tote bag are available for purchase in the LeConte Medical Center Gift Shop (open Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.).
Download the Paint the Mountains Pink FAQ sheet here.
FAQs available in Spanish by clicking here.
Make a donation online here (purchase a sign or decal).