Wednesday, March 06, 2013
LeConte recognizes Athletic Training Month
LeConte Medical Center honors our Athletic Trainers during March, National Athletic Training Month. This annual recognition honors the medical and community work of athletic trainers nationwide.
LeConte Sports Medicine is proud to provide athletic training services to the area high schools. Certified athletic trainers (ATCs), not to be confused with personal fitness trainers, are highly educated and skilled professionals.
They offer the athletes in our high schools:
- Injury prevention education
- Recognition, evaluation and immediate care of injuries
- Bracing/taping/strapping to protect an injured structure, enable movement and restore normal functioning
- First aid/CPR
- Education and counseling about injury care and prevention
- Professional development training for students interested in becoming athletic trainers.
The National Athletic Trainers’ Association, Inc., is the largest organization representing ATCs. Its certified athletic trainers have met educational and experiential requirements and passed a competency examination. Tennessee also requires a license to practice as an ATC.
The American Medical Association recognizes athletic training as an allied health profession.
ATCs are integral members of athletic healthcare teams in secondary schools, colleges and universities, sports medicine clinics, professional sports programs, corporate and industrial health programs, physicians' offices and health clubs.
Wherever they practice, ATCs add value by:
- Helping prevent injuries - and unnecessary trips to the emergency room
- Restoring patients' good health and ability to participate in sports
- Reducing re-injury rates • Cutting time lost to non-surgical injuries
- Improving patients' ability to function after surgery March is recognized as National Athletic Training month to recognize the valuable service ATCs provide to their communities.
LeConte Sports Medicine and LeConte Medical Center are proud to be the healthcare providers of choice in Sevier County. Count on LeConte as your healthcare provider!