Wednesday, February 06, 2013
Paint the Mountains Pink
Our mission is two-fold: First, Paint the Mountains Pink will spread the word about the importance of mammography and early detection, and help educate our community that mammograms truly save lives. Second, Paint the Mountains Pink will help provide mammograms to those in Sevier County who cannot afford them.*
Did you know?
• 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
• Mammograms alone find 85-90% of breast cancers.
• Mammography can detect cancer up to 2 years before it is detected with a self breast exam.
• The current American Cancer Society guidelines recommend a yearly mammogram for women starting at age 40.
• In any given year, only 50% of women aged 40 – 85 years old have a mammogram.
The two main reasons women don’t get their annual screening:
- Uneducated as to the importance of early detection
20% of American women are uninsured. Of these, 67% needed medical care but did not receive it due to the cost involved.
In Sevier County, 21% of women are uninsured (ranking 94 out of 95 counties in Tennessee).
What is the cost of a mammogram & reading fee for someone without insurance? $300
For more information about Paint the Mountains Pink, and how you can help visit our website!
Download the Paint the Mountains Pink FAQ sheet here.
*Applications for free mammograms will be available March 1, and screenings will be available after April 1. More details will be posted as they are available.